Florida is an amazing country to peep in. Pet name of Florida is the sunshine state and the capital city of Florida is Tallahassee. Based on the population the largest city of Florida is Jacksonville having the total population of 1.6 million. The overall population of Florida would be around 6 million and it would be ranking 3rd in the world in terms of population. Florida is an interesting place with so many funny and cool facts to explore. Knowing these cool facts about Florida will make you visit this place soon. Here is list of facts about Florida which you must see and explore.
Fun facts about Florida
One of the interesting facts about Florida is in the history of its name. The first person to explore this place was Juan Ponce De Leon. He was European and he explored Florida for the first time in the year 1513 and he called Florida, la Florida which means the land of flowers. He decided to give this name because he was very much amazed and impressed by plenty of colorful flowers of that place and he visited Florida in the Easter season which is basically known as Pascua Florida in Spanish language. Hence this is how Florida name was emerged.
- One of the interesting facts about Florida is that it is very popular for producing juicy oranges. When it comes to production of citrus fruits, Florida is one of the largest producer in entire US. Majority of the oranges, grapefruit and tangerines are cultivated in US only. On an average 90% of the citrus is harvested in Florida only and it goes for Juice making.
- Another interesting fact about Florida is that it is the 3rd most populated state in entire US and it has the population exceeding 19.7 million even surpassing the state of New York. Florida is having the highest percentage of people over 65 years of age.
- The wild flower of the state of flower is Coreopsis and the national animal is Florida panther.
- One of the economic facts about Florida is that tourism is the biggest money bringing sector in this place. In the year 2016, more than 112 million tourists had visited Florida and the numbers goes on increasing. The most visited vacation spot in Florida is the Walt Disney world resort and there are more than 50 million visitors visiting this place in a year.
- Florida is considered as one of the most flat state in entire USA. Florida is the state which has the smallest difference in its highest and lowest point. There is difference of just 345 feet in between the highest and lowest point. The mean elevation of Florida is just 100 feet. There is only one state named Deleware which has lower mean elevation which is just 60 feet.
- Another overwhelming fact about Florida is that it has the world’s biggest port. Port of Miami is considered as the largest cruise ship port in entire world. Florida is paradise for vacationers 663 miles of long fine beaches. This place being so much fun and cool still if you can’t find something to do and have fun from then probably you are the most boring person.
- One of the interesting facts about Florida is that it is the place where commercial aviation was started for the first time. A guy named tony Janus made a record and made a history on 1st January 1914 when he flew the very first scheduled passenger service flight for the first time in the world from St. Petersburg to Tampa in Florida.
- One of the amazing facts about Florida is that it is only place where you will see crocodiles and alligators co-existing with each other in the wild. Florida is home to largest subtropical wilderness in the entire US. It has a world heritage site name Everglades along with international biosphere reserve and also a wetland having international significance. For protecting the plants and animal life of swamps, several parts of everglades are kept on a side for everglades national park.
Lake Okeechobee is the largest lake of Florida and it is the seventh largest freshwater lake in entire US along with being second largest lake which is totally contained within 48 contiguous states. The name Okeechobee is derived from Hitchiti word where Oki means water and Chubi means big.
- One of the interesting facts about Florida is that it is the only state in the entire continental US for having extensive shallow coral reef nearby its coasts.
- The only US territory which has served under eight flag is Amelia islands located in Florida. It has served under Mexican, British, French, green cross, Confederate, US, Patriot and Spanish This Island was named to Princess Amelia who was daughter of George II of Britain.
- The only metropolitan city in the entire US which has the borders with two national parks is the Greater Miami. The Biscayne national park and the everglades national park are the two national parks haring the border.
- Florida is named as the sunshine state but still it is not the sunniest place in US state and actually Arizona is sunniest place which is followed by Nevada.
- One of the funny facts about Florida is that in the year 1994 there was a crime meeting held in Florida and a 75 pound bag of cocaine was fallen out of plane and dropped just in the middle of this meeting.
- According to the law of Florida, it is not allowed for anyone to appear in public with cloth in liquid latex.
- One of the funniest facts about Florida is that once a 13 year old boy was arrested and his crime was to fart excessively in school.
- Again one of the shocking facts about Florida is that in the year 2002, there was a 15 year old boy who got inspired by the 9/11 and stole away an air-plane and tries to fly it over the skyscraper in Tampa, Florida. However he was the only one leading to death.